Why is Leonard Law Office in Boston looking into Trump Hotels data breaches?
A leading data security expert named Brian Krebs has revealed that there have been three separate data breaches at Trump-branded properties in the past two years. This office is collecting stories from customers of Trump properties from July 2015 to July 2017.
Mr. Krebs wrote:
“…I thought it might be useful to see these events plotted on a timeline, because it suggests that virtually anyone who used a credit card at a Trump property in the past two years likely has had their card data stolen and put on sale in the cybercrime underground as a result.” (Krebs post here)
Why do data breaches matter?
Data breaches are obviously very troubling incidents. Businesses have certain duties to safeguard customers’ private information. Careless network security practices make businesses vulnerable to data breaches, and businesses have a legal duty to exercise great care when they collect customer information and process credit card transactions. Consumers suffer when their personal data is stolen because of careless information security practices. Data breaches can be deeply unsettling to their victims, and can cause long term financial damage. When thousands of passwords and usernames are stolen, and posted on the Internet, or sold on dark corners of the web, people are undoubtedly hurt. Credit card information that is taken can be used to make clone cards that can then be used to pull money directly from victims’ accounts. Identity theft is a common consequence for data breach victims.
Why don’t businesses do more to prevent data breaches?
Just as banks have a duty to invest in vaults with impenetrable walls and thick steel doors, almost any business operating in the Internet age must have robust defenses against data thieves. Solid digital defense are expensive to design and implement. Businesses focused on cutting costs to improve their profits do not make it a priority to invest in proper network security. Businesses with sloppy network security do not live up to the legal duty of care required of them. Negligent network / information security practices can result in great harm to consumers.
Where are Trump Hotels?
The list of Trump Hotels in America is:
Trump International Hotel & Tower New York, New York
Trump SoHo, New York, New York
Trump International Hotel Washington, D.C.
Albemarle Estate at Trump Winery, Virginia
Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, Illinois
Trump National Doral Miami, Florida
Trump International Hotel Las Vegas, Nevada
Trump International Hotel Waikiki, Hawaii
The business has a website at Trumphotels.com.
Will the Trump Hotels Data Breach Class Action be about Donald Trump‘s Presidency?
No. The focus of this (potential) case will be about whether Trump International Hotels Management LLC has used adequate data security practices to safeguard its customers’ Personal Identification Information (i.e. first and last names, home addresses, dates of birth, email addresses, ZIP codes) and Financial Information (i.e. credit card/debit card information, card numbers, PIN numbers, expiration dates).
What’s in it for you and why would you want to get involved?
A good class representative understands that they are performing a public service. A class representative’s primary motive should not be personal financial gain. Wanting to harm the defendant of a class action is not the correct mindset either – – especially here. This investigation and potential case is about two issues: 1) data security (or lack thereof); 2) consumer protection law. Please do not make contact with this office if you want to hurt the current President, or do anything illegal.
Hotel Data Breaches
- Hotel data are hacker heaven, so be cyber-smart before you check in (Bloomberg BNA) (link here)
- 2016 Was a Record Year for Data Breaches (Bloomberg Technology) (link here)
- HBO Breach Did Not Compromise Full Email System: CEO (Dark Reading) (link here)
- U.S. Constitution, 25th Amendment, Section 4 (Cornell Law School LII link here)
- U.S. Constitution, Article I, Section 9, Clause 8 (Cornell Law School LII link here)
- Ethics Issue ‘Nonsense,’ Said Official Who Cleared Trump Hotel (Bloomberg Politics) (Bloomberg link here)
Cybersecurity & Election Interference
- Senate Intelligence Committee hearing on Russian interference in European elections (June 28, 2017) (YouTube) link here)
- To Fix Voting Machines, Hackers Tear Them Apart (Wired) (link here)
- Leadership Lessons from Gen. James Mattis (USMC Ret.) (YouTube) (link here)
- Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life…And Maybe the World,William H. McRaven (USN Ret.) (Barnes & Noble) (link here)
- Republican donor from Virginia Beach sues GOP, accusing the party of fraud over failed Obamacare repeal (The Virginian-Pilot) (link here)
- Devil’s Bargain: Steve Bannon, Donald Trump, and the Storming of the Presidency (Barnes & Noble) (link here)
- “Perseverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages.” – George Washington
- “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” -Franklin Roosevelt
- “Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” -John F. Kennedy
- “The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics, whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were, and ask why not?” -John F. Kennedy
- “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. -That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed…” -Thomas Jefferson
- “This nation was founded by men of many nations and backgrounds. It was founded on the principle that all men are created equal, and that the rights of every man are diminished when the rights of one man are threatened…The heart of the question is…whether we are going to treat our fellow Americans as we want to be treated.” -John F. Kennedy
- “You know, I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything…Grab ’em by the [vulgarity deleted]. You can do anything.”-Donald Trump (transcript here)
- “Up in New Hampshire – I won New Hampshire because New Hampshire is a drug-infested den – is coming from the southern border.” -Donald Trump (transcript here)