The Leonard Law Office, PC is representing clients regarding credit card privacy claims against Urban Outfitters. This class action, alleging violations of Massachusetts privacy and consumer protection laws, was filed on August 15, 2013. If you have received “junk mail” from Urban Outfitters, you are welcome to contact us.
Information about the class action lawsuit against Urban Outfitters
The complaint alleges that Urban Outfitters collected ZIP codes at checkout at its Massachusetts stores from customers who made purchases with credit cards, recorded that information as part of credit card transactions, and then used that information for marketing purposes, including to send unsolicited marketing and promotional materials, or “junk mail.” The complaint further alleges that:
- Urban Outfitters does not collect, record, and use the customers’ ZIP code information in order to verify the customer’s identity or for any other legitimate purpose in connection with the Credit Card transaction.
- Urban Outfitters uses this information for its own marketing and promotional purposes. Possession of the consumer’s ZIP code information, together with the customer’s name, enables Defendant to identify the customer’s address and/or telephone number through the use of publicly available databases.
- Urban Outfitters uses the ZIP code information it collects from customers and the addresses and other information it then obtains, to send unsolicited marketing and promotional materials, or “junk mail,” to customers, including Plaintiff and Class members.
- Urban Outfitters also has the ability to sell the ZIP code information it collects from customers (including Plaintiff and Class members) and the addresses and other information it then obtains, to third parties for a profit or to use the information for other marketing and promotional purposes.
- Information about the Class
Information about Urban Outfitters
Stock of Urban Outfitters, Inc. is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol URBN. Urban Outfitters is organized under the laws of PA, with a principal place of business at 5000 South Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19112. The company has been led by Mr. Richard Hayne since 1976, who received a 2012 salary of $1.00 according to Bloomberg. Urban Outfitters has eight retail locations in Massachusetts (Allston, Boston, Burlington, Cambridge, Dedham, Natick, Northampton).
- Urban Outfitters Sued for Tricking Customers Into Giving Them Their Zip Codes (fashionista.com)
- Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie Face D.C. Class Action Suit (style.time.com)
Plaintiff’s counsel have achieved an excellent result for the Class. Class Counsel have succeeded in securing a settlement with Defendants Urban Outfitters, Inc. (“Urban Outfitters”), Free People LLC and Free People of Pennsylvania LLC (“Free People”) that provides approximately $731,000 in immediately-usable Urban Outfitters and Free People merchandise certificates to all Class members; the Certificates will be sent directly to Class members without the necessity of filing a claim. The Certificates, which are transferrable and which remain valid for one year after the date of issuance, are valued at twenty dollars ($20.00) for the members of the First Time Collection Class and ten dollars ($10) for members of the Previous Collection Class, with a total value of $731,180, based on the estimated number of members in each Class.