Some consumers have complained that efax makes it difficult to cancel after signing up for the efax free trial, and have been billed for monthly efax service, despite cancelling, or attempting to cancel.
Questions About Efax
Does efax intentionally make it difficult to cancel their service? Does efax continue to charge consumers and small businesses even though they have requested that the service and billing be discontinued? Is the efax free trial essentially a scam that results in overbilling or bogus charges to credit cards?
Why is it so Hard to Cancel an efax Free 30 Day Trial?
Complaints About efax
The Internet is littered with complaints about efax billing practices:
Ripoffreport (92 complaints)
- “I signed up for one month of e fax service….just discovered they have been billing me $13 per month since then. I did NOT agree to anything more than one month of service“
- “I called the efax company to close my account…they said the account is closed but they still take $16.95 every month. I emailed them again and again but no reply.”
- “Do not open an efax account. This is a totally immoral company that hopes you wont notice the charges on your account.”
Complaints.com (37 complaints)
“…specifically – directly and without any equivocation – asked her to confirm for me that if I did nothing further with efax, the account would expire on its own and I would no longer be billed. She confirmed that. Just today, December 17, 2004, I checked my online bank statement to find a $12.95 charge from efax.”
Information about efax
According to a Bloomberg Businessweek company profile, efax is led by Mr. Todd Kenck, and “provides Internet messaging solutions, and offers Internet faxing and voicemail services, which enable members to send and receive their faxes and voicemail through emails.”
Competitor Complaints about efax
One competitor shared the following complaint about efax:
“The parent company of eFax, j2, dominates and all but monopolizes the online fax industry. They have come to do so mostly through acquisition of competing companies, as well as through aggressive lawsuits against newcomers in the Online Fax industry. The result is a seemingly flagrant violation of Google Adwords‘ double-serving policy that has been going on for years, and this coupled with intense litigiousness has made it extremely difficult for new competition in this space.
j2 is creating an incredibly difficult barrier to entry to all newcomers to the industry with:
- aggressive legal action
- monopolization of the Adwords landscape, creating immensely high cost per click with their multiple web properties, reducing the ability to compete with them
From the consumer standpoint, there is a major case of ‘Illusion of Choice’ in the Online Fax marketplace. So far, Google has not taken action against what appears to be a clear violation of their double-serving guideline.
It should be unacceptable to have 8 websites appearing for the same keyword providing the same service to the end user, when in fact they all end up in the same back-end customer support team owned by the same parent company. So far Google has not taken action on this violation of their double-serving policy, even though all these facts (and more) have been brought to their attention.
All these sites have a banner at the bottom referencing j2 which is the owner of all these companies. Users are supported by the same customer support/sales team.”
Illusion of choice?
Competitors have complained that Google is perpetuating a monopoly in the online fax marketplace through a so-called “illusion of choice,” whereby all of the top results are allegedly occupied by Efax-controlled entities, and by allowing Efax to have the lion’s share of online fax adwords. See for yourself and “Google” the term “online faxing.”
Efax Wants Your Business
Below is a marketing email recently received from Efax:
|© 2013. All rights reserved. eFax®, eVoice®, Campaigner®, FuseMail®, KeepItSafe™, Onebox are registered trademarks ®of j2 Global, Inc. and its affiliates. *Free trial offers are subject to change without notice and are available to new service customers only. See sites for details.j2 Global , Inc. 6922 Hollywood Blvd. Hollywood, CA 90028.
- Best Tech Tools For The Real Estate Professional and Office (smallbiztechnology.com)
- 5 Free Online Fax Service for Faxing Anywhere via Email and Web (hackncrackz.blogspot.com)
- Do you need a fax machine? (shoretelsky.com)
- Could J2 Global’s Business Practices Hurt Google’s Reputation? (tech.co)
- When Keyword (not provided) is 100 Percent of Organic Referrals, What Should Marketers Do? – Whiteboard Tuesday (moz.com)
- The J2 Global Controversy: Is Google Perpetuating a Monopoly? (business2community.com)